Thursday, August 10, 2006

Your new film Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna is about extra-marital relationships. Do you approve of the subject?

The basic question that director Karan Johar has asked in this film is: What if you meet your soulmate after you are married? But he hasn't put across an opinion, he has just asked the question.

What if you faced a similar situation?

If I meet my soulmate after marriage, I will be really disappointed.

So you see nothing wrong in extra-marital affairs?

I think it's wrong to have an extra-marital relationship.

But what if you find your soulmate after marriage?

I don't think I'll get married until I find my soulmate.

What if your parents don't approve of her?

My parents will always approve of my relationship. I will not do anything without their approval; and if there's such a situation, I will seek their approval.

You've been linked to Rani and Preity...

I was torn between their love; I found it hard to balance my affection towards both. Both were vying for my attention and they had huge fights over me. (Laughs) Unfortunately nothing as exciting as that happened. Both Preity and Rani are close to me and will always be.

The Bachchan-SRK rivalry is taking up reams of paper.

Whoever dreamt up this story? If the person who did so is happy spreading such stories, I'm happy to make him content. Unfortunately, however, it is not true; they should come and see how we are together. But they wouldn't want to see that part of our lives, as they are hell-bent on spreading rubbish.

Your equation with SRK?

Shah Rukh is a senior. I can't call him my friend; he is too senior a person for me to be casual with. I have immense respect for him, enjoy his company and hope I get an opportunity to work with him in the future too.

You seem a bit conscious in the Rock 'n roll soniye song with your father.

I am a weak artiste compared to my dad. Anyone who stands in the same frame is going to look uncomfortable and slightly out of sync. When you are standing in front of an actor like my dad, you are going to look like a fool.

The quest is to try and match him so that you don't disrespect his talent and dedication. I try but I don't think I manage to achieve that.

What about Ash?

She's a wonderful co-star and person to have on your set. She's a professional; we have done two films and are comfortable with each other.

How true are the stories of a relationship between you and her?

My life's been an open book. I don't hide things. But I don't like talking about these things, as it is disrespectful to women. I don't think you would like it if your personal life were up for judgment on a daily basis.

My private life is my private life and I'd like to keep it that way. When I have something to say I'll be the first person to say it.

But aren't you more than just friends?

I am more than friends with all of them — male or female — which includes Preity, Rani and Ash.

Don't you resent the fact that the life of the Bachchans is under scrutiny all the time?

One should be thankful that people find you interesting enough to talk about. Unfortunately, some of them have an extra-fertile imagination. I know what the truth is and as long as I know and my family knows, nothing else matters to me.

No comments: